New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Squids in Sambal - Seafood Week #2


These squids have been in my freezer for………… 5 months. I bought them before I got to know I was pregs, and after that as you all know I haven’t been cooking for a long time.

So, I finally thawed these and cooked them for dinner. Served them with piping hot nasi lemak. Being the understanding wife (*coughs), I cooked extra rice knowing that dear hubby will definitely ask for seconds. And truly he did. He can never resist my nasi lemak. Hahaha. Hey, not that nasi lemak Seringgit or 20 sen type ok, don’t stain ur brain. If you don’t understand the relation of nasi lemak and a woman, please refer to your Malay friends. It’s equivalent to our Chinese saying of Siao Loong Pau, Cha Siew Pau or Big Pau. Now I guess you know what is the relation of nasi lemak and a woman. Hahahaha!!!



Squids in Sambal
Recipe source: Wendyywy

300gm cleaned squids, cut into rings or whichever way you fancy
10 dried chilli
100gm fresh chilli (mine were really huge ones, so I don’t know how many regular sized ones, they were about the length of a del monte/dole banana)
50gm shallots (5 pieces)
10gm garlic (2 cloves)
7gm belacan (1 pinkie sized piece)
1 tsp tamarind paste (I used Adabi ready to use paste)
2 Tbsp coconut milk
2 Tbsp sugar (might need more)
1.5 tsp salt (don’t put in all first)
1 red onion, sliced
3 Tbsp cooking oil

1. Snip dry chillies into halves and rub them to remove the seeds. Soak the chillies in water for 10 minutes at least.
2. Remove seeds from fresh chillis, peel shallots and garlic.
3. Mill/Grind dried chilli, fresh chilli, shallots, garlic and belacan until fine.
4. Heat a wok and put in cooking oil. Carefully pour in the chilli paste and on medium low heat,
5. Cook until paste is almost dry. Put in coconut milk and cook until the milky colour disappears
6. Put in tamarind paste, salt and sugar. Adjust the taste.
7. Turn heat to high and put in sliced onions and cook until wilted.
8. Put in cleaned squid rings and cook until the squids firm up, it will only take 1 minute. (Take note that squids will release moisture, so do not put in water in the chilli paste earlier on)
9. Dish up and serve.

23 comments:

  1. Looks so spicy & yummy! Going to bookmark this! Thanks Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nearly 11pm here and I am salivating just looking at this dish. I am going to dream about it tonight :( How you get your sambal to be so dry. If I cook this or with prawns it always get watery and I didn't even add any water to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 这个我爱吃,还有剩的吗??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wah, just a big plate of steam rice to go with this and I'm gooooood. And maybe some ice water also, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...the sambal sauce is irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there,
    You mentioned to put in coconut milk (item 5) but in your ingredients part you did not indicated any coconut milk at all. How much to put in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is there, read the instructions again

      Delete
  7. my favorite! i love anything spicy especially sambal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wen,
    When you make this, don't forget to let me know.


    Gert,
    My sambal was very dry when I added in the squid. If it's still too watery, try lightly blanching it before putting in. But I didn't this time.



    cherry potato,
    No more lor, long time finish



    Bee,
    Yaya, need ice water :)


    Zoe,
    Hehe.. if you like hot and spicy, yeah.


    Melinda,
    Thanks for pointing out.
    Rectified :)


    J3ss,
    Good for a sweat out

    ReplyDelete
  9. it look so mouthwatering! i love spicy food and this look really spicy and yummy! (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply irresistible..... the song goes and that speaks volumes of your sambal squid!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wendy I adores this dish. So inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweetylicious,
    I love spicy food too


    busygran,
    Haha, thanks :)


    Lian,
    :) :) :)


    Edith,
    U're a spicy food lever too eh :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't help salivating. Your pics are fantastic. If images comes with smell, it will be perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, cannot tahan already! I want nasi lemak and the spicy squid!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey wendy, i think you should stop doing some marketing first to clear out all the stuffs in your fridge first ..haha! nasi lemak, sambal squids..all also i want!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh! This squid dish look so tempting...spicy and yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love sotong! and your ssambal squid is making me drool...I wish I have 1% of your cooking skill!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Experimental Cook,
    Haha, if technology permits, I'll post the smell as well.


    Little Inbox,
    Haha... morning ada, Malay stalls sure got nasi lemak sambal sotong



    Shirley,
    hehehe.



    lena,
    That time la... I'm pregs ma, no feel to cook, so cooked it after i got back my mood... that's why keep so long lor. Haha. I don't really cook all that often, which is why you can see I ahve this and that.. hahaha!



    Juliana,
    YEah.. must be spicy, if nt, no kick


    HHB,
    Hey, your cooking is nice what.
    Anyway, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. gosh! eat this dish with hot rice
    there goes my diet! :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. Alice,
    Haha, indulge once a while is fine :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...