New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, May 9, 2014

Bhatura - AFF Indian Subcontinent #6



Bhatura or Bhatoora is a deep fried flat bread leavened with baking soda, originating from North India.

It is similar to Poori, something that we are more common with. Poori is made with whole wheat flour or atta flour, whereas bhatura is generally made with plain flour.



For a visually successful bhatura, it should inflate during frying and stay inflated when cooled. Out of 11 that I fried, only 1 was fully inflated. At the end of the frying... I still couldn't figure out how and why. I'm really happy that at least one ballooned up. My heart was thumping with joy when I saw that one puffy piece.

The flat ones were not wasted. My kids munched on the crispy flat breads, literally FLAT breads and I received good comments for taste and texture.


If you prefer not to deep fry, you can pan fry (without oil) them and the outcome will be kulcha instead.
I served my bhaturas complete with chole masala, onions and lemon. This combination is called Chole Bhatura.



Bhatura
Source: Rak's Kitchen

260gm plain flour (9.8% protein)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 Tbsp sugar
Scant 1/4tsp baking soda
125gm natural yogurt
1.5 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp milk or more if needed

1. Sift flour with baking soda.
2. Mix everything together and knead until a smooth dough forms. Let the dough rest for 2 hours.
3. Form balls of dough weighing around 40gm, let them rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Flour and roll each thinly to about 2mm in thickness.
4. Deep fry the bread until they puff up and turn golden. (I'm not good at this!)




The flat ones.... hehehe. No waste no waste!


I am submitting this to Asian Food Fest Indian Subcontinent Month

4 comments:

  1. hi Wendy I love your website as I learned a lot of new recipes from you. Thanks for sharing. I also like to research on youtube cooking videos.
    I found this vahchef video on bathura, maybe it might help your bathura to rise.
    cooking instruction starts at 2.43 minutes.
    At 5.26-5.44 mins the chef mentioned to press the bathura with the ladle. When you press on the bubbles on the bathura it will help it to puff up.
    https://youtu.be/ChHhgP7D1Rc

    ReplyDelete
  2. This video which explains the technical aspect of a perfectly fried bathura.
    https://youtu.be/aVirnE4Qte4

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...